Sunday, July 1, 2012

Penne Vodka and Getting Ready for Baby!

Hi Ladies and Dad if you are reading this! So, since Cait actually took me up on this blog idea, I have come to realize how much my life lacks excitement, since I literally was racking my brain trying to think of stuff to write about. Anyway, something semi-interesting (although not at all if you ask George) that we did this week was a full day child birth prep class and George made really good Penne Vodka (hence the title)! Sounds exciting right?! The class was all day on Saturday at the hospital in Berkeley where Baby L will be born.

I think we knew mostly everything from all my years of watching The Baby Story, and making George watch it a few times in the last couple months. Who ever said reality TV is a waste of time?! There was a lot of entertainment provided by our fellow soon to be parents, however. For example, one guy raised his hand and asked if he, or if the doctors, will be checking how far dilated his wife was during labor. Also, the movies they show you are interesting to say the least. The couples featured in these movies are the type of people you see are going to be on a certain episode of The Baby Story and then change the channel to watch something else.

Another funny thing about this class and the hospital in general is that the part of the class about medications and interventions was literally 10 minutes long, out of an 8 hour class. They briefly gloss over your pain control options and go back to how this is a natural process, blah, blah, blah. I think that is a direct result of the location of the hospital...I did find out that they do have anesthesiologists on site 24/7, so you can have an epidural if you can handle the judgment from everyone around you.

Anyway, the best part was at the very end of the day which was the tour of the labor and delivery floor. It is HUGE in this hospital. There are 26 labor and delivery rooms and they were all full while we were there...that is a lot of babies! I thought at most hospitals they would have like maybe 3-4 babies born every day. I was definitely wrong; this hospital has 700 babies born a month there! Anyway, the hospital is very cool in that they keep the baby with you 24/7 and pretty much leave you alone otherwise. We did see 3 brand new newborns that were in the nursery while we were there. They were so teeny tiny and so so cute! They also give you all the logistics about where to park, and what exactly to do when you get there. Basically don't come too early or they will just send you home was the gist. I think we both got really nervous and really excited being there and realizing we only have 6.5 weeks left!

One other thing we found out last night is that George got into this program he applied to at JP Morgan in NYC at the end of July. It is really awesome because it will give him a good idea of the investment banking industry before he even starts school.

Now, about the penne vodka-George made this for dinner last night and OMG it is delicious. Like, literally as good as Pasta Bri's. Had I have known it was going to be so good; I would have taken pictures as he made it a la Pioneer Woman, but this is my first time blogging, so you have to give me a break. Trust me, it is so good! Here is the link: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Penne-alla-Vodka-106042.

Love you all! XOXO

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh... your life is so exciting!!! You are having a baby, i cant think what would be more exciting than that! I want to see where baby L will be born while im there! I love you and miss you so much!

    P.S. thank you for blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 700 babies a month?? Holy cow, that seems like a lot. I LOVE that the baby stays with you the whole time, that'll make it so much better. And screw the judgment- get the epidural! And the pasta sounds absolutely amazing- so much better than my lukewarm soup at work right now :(

    ReplyDelete