Thursday, August 16, 2012

Grenada and Medical School

Hello to all those in the states! I figured I would post since no one has in a while and I have so much to catch all of you up on!

I'm am now a week into island life and it gets better everyday. The first night was pretty terrible, getting used to being away from home/dorm life/island life/medschool was a little difficult. Then I met my roommate, Jane, who is from LA and is here with her fiancĂ©. She made it seem like civilization still existed so that helped. Sabrina, my other roommate, didn't arrive until a day or two after Jane and me but we immediately clicked! She is from Canada and has her whole family here until Thursday, which I am jealous of :). The first night she came in, we went with her family to Carnival... and I have never been so culture shocked. It was crazy and a little overwhelming 3 days in, but none the less really fun. The three of us (plus Jane's fiancĂ©) have been basically hanging out ever since and getting along really well. Sabrina and I want to have weekly roommate dinners which will be a nice study break!

Orientation started yesterday and I am so so so excited to dig my teeth into medical school. Its been a lot of people telling us how showering and eating become a luxury during midterms, but I have met a couple of second "termer's" who say that as long as you stay on top of it, it is doable. So all and all, I am terrified of the upcoming weeks but super motivated... I'm hoping that lasts! I just came back from a seminar that was about the progression through the SGU Academic Program, and it made me feel like this is all really happening. In two years, I will be doing my clinicals... and I don't know about you, but high school feels like yesterday and I graduated in '06. I picked up my white coat and it is finally starting to feel real. I'm a med student, weird.

RIGHT outside of my room... you can swim anywhere there is water here. 

My dorm :)

Carnival

Light show at Carnival

Morning run, right outside the library.

I finally got my address, if you are going to ship anything use FedEx (it comes directly to the school):
    Caitlin Berger, 3255
    St. George's University
    PO Box 7
    University Centre
    St. Georges
    Grenada, West Indies

Viber only works where there is wifi, so in the student center and in class/library... I will try to make contact through that... so answer weird numbers cause it might be me :) I also have been using gmail calling which will show up as a call from CA. Skype is a godsend and everyone should request me so I can chat with you. I love all of you so much and miss you all. Also, and maybe most importantly, I have a new niece!!!! Abigail is gorgeous... congrats CarCar!
Library on a drop of to the water... not a bad place to study

2 comments:

  1. Also only use fedex if you are shipping a package or something like that... Letters can go through the postoffice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dear,

    I Like Your Blog Very Much. I see Daily Your Blog, is A Very Useful For me.

    You can also Find pre medical universities All Saints University School of Medicine - Dominica is committed to providing high quality education leading to a Doctor of Medicine (MD) Degree at very affordable fees.

    Visit Now:- https://allsaintsuniversity.org/

    ReplyDelete